Monday 8 October 2007

Feeling “proper” Cambridge…

… Which has come about because I am the proud new owner of a very clapped out bike! My college were selling off old bikes for charity and I managed to acquire one for the princely sum of £30 which given it has no brakes, a flat tyre and a rusty chain I felt was a bargain! To be fair all this is going to be fixed before I part with my hard earned cash… I had a rather girly moment when I was asked which of the bikes I was interested in and I said the purple one – well I think colour is a perfectly good reason to choose such things on. Sadly the only bike that was low enough for me to get my leg over (insert your own smutty comments here…) was a plain black mountain bike but I have managed to get a girly touch in by purchasing a Minnie mouse bell for it :o) Actually this was the irony of the whole thing. The bike may have been only £30 but the basic accessories such as helmet, chain, bell and lights cost £70. Still at least that means I will have an incentive to ride it if only not to feel I have wasted my money. That and the fact that on Wednesday mornings I have the sum total of 20 minutes to get from an Old Testament Seminar on one side of Cambridge to an Ethics lecture on the other side of Cambridge… maybe they should put that on the recruitment posters…. “Forget the gym, become an ordinand and get that six pack you have always wanted”!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jane

If you would like a nice blue ladies bike, I have one you can have in Warlingham if Cath is agreeable. It has a basket, bell, brakes, and other essentials and if you want it I will ensure its roadworthy. We might even bring it to Cambridge for you if you haven't fixed your bargain yet. STuart