Thursday 5 May 2011

Musical Interlude

Everybody knows the Lambeth walk right? Indeed my solitary claim to fame is that I have performed the Lambeth Walk (incorrectly as it happens) on Mongolian national television....

What is probably less well known however is that the success of the song spawned a whole slew of copycat songs from other areas of London. Looking through the church archives I have found our very own local ditty “The Deptford Dip” written by Eric Cuddon in 1939...

Who can resist such classic lines as “ Deep, deep down in Deptford Creek lies a treasure hard to seek. If you could find the spot, you’d be worth a tidy lot.” Or the masterful (and physically challenging) chorus “Raise your thigh and lower your hip , now have some pluck and try your luck with a dip, dip, Deptford dip.”

Do you think it might catch on?










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! Great to hear from you again on here. What a ditty! Just imagining performing those moves, my imagined self was falling over!

I am "relaunching" my blog at the moment, so it's great to see someone else who may be doing the same. :)