Monday 6 February 2012

Sunday 6th February 1977

Today’s update from the diary my seven year old self wrote during the 1977 Festival of Black arts and culture in Lagos, Nigeria.

Sunday 6th February 1977.

We went to the club for lunch. I bought a comic called Twinkle. At lunch I had chicken-in-the-basket. I went to the film in the evening. It was called “Hell Boats”, it was about boats in the war.


This is an interesting entry as it shows the very varied influences on my life. On the one hand I am reading Twinkle comic which was a very gender stereotyped magazine for young girls that was pink and fluffy and had cartoons about dolls hospitals where the girls were of course the nurses and the boys the doctors... and on the other hand I was going to the cinema shows at the club where I apparently was freely able to watch a PG-13 movie that was quite violent in places....But I suppose you took what you could when you could in Lagos then, because you never knew when the opportunity would come again! That said I could have done without being taken to a screening of Jaws at the age of six... its put me off horror films for life...

No comments: