Wednesday 27 February 2008

Did the earth move for you last night?

...well it did for me, which is not something I thought I would find myself saying whilst at theological college! The earthquake in Lincolnshire was certainly felt by some of us at college, though others slept through completely unmoved (literally and figuratively) and our American student, who grew up on the west coast, couldn’t understand why we were fussing about a tremor that “was only a 5.2”!

The initial noise woke me and then there was several seconds that felt like someone was standing at the end of the bed shaking the headboard. This felt so real that in my still half asleep state I thought the noise was someone coming through the window and who was now about to attack me. There was several terrifying seconds passed before I had the courage to turn on the light and be reassured that the room was empty and it quite some time before I felt calm enough to go back to sleep. Needless to say I was somewhat sleepy at morning prayer – not helped by the fact that we are in the first week of BCP – a termly ritual observed by college for the last 3 weeks of each term – Yeah, verily we rejoice!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There was just a very slight tremor back home in Gipsy Hill - not enough to wake anyone who wasn't burning the 1am oil (on the outline eucharis proposal to send to the Greenbelt planners as it happens)- it was like a twitch in the space time continuum if you see what I mean.... or perhaps not.